Scripture Reading: Numbers 13.25-14.4
In the book of Numbers, we find the Israelites going through a tremendous transition. Have you ever considered the mental process of adjustment this must have been for them? What transitions have you gone through? The Bible is full of people who went through transitional period. All of these situations involve an end. The problem is…human beings do not like ends. How do we get thru transitional periods successfully?
I. Understand Transitions Take Time.
- Numbers 13:25-33; 14:1-4
- 12 spies return. 10 of them give unfaithful report. People panic. Question God.
- They were still attached to the past.
- Many of them still going through a process of psychological change.
- Since they were in this time of transition…in a land that was not theirs – they wanted to:
- Get out of it as soon as possible.
- 14:4 – go back to Egypt
- 14:40-45 – go up & try to take Canaan without God’s blessing. Dismal failure!
II. Transition Periods can present a wonderful opportunity.
- They can be a source of renewal, discovery, and excitement.
- Must view this time as a chance to view our past & contemplate the future.
- Eph. 4:23-24 – renewed in the spirit of our mind. Put on the new self. Transitions can assist us in this process. How?
- By asking self probing questions:
- What is really changing?
- What God is creating out of the chaos of my life?
- How is God directing my life? Is he directing/pushing in a particular direction? Am I resisting God in any way?
- What will this change enable me to do that I could not do before?
- God’s plan for our life is still at work. See Psalm 37:23-24
III. Transitions help us develop relationships with saints.
- This is not a time to go alone. Our spiritual journey never is.
- We need guides – people who can help us sharpen our priorities & focus.
- Exodus 18 – Israel had just entered the wilderness.
- 18:13-16 – Moses overwhelmed by the tasks of leadership.
- 18:17-24 – Jethro’s advice.
- Companionship & spiritual relationships & friendships mean matter!
- You have a unique opportunity to help someone else. Look for someone in this family you can serve.
- Numbers 13 – Israel had been wandering in an unfamiliar place & was quickly tiring.
- Israel failed the test of transformation and trust and was sent back to wander some more.
- Still had slave mentalities and could not move on to be God’s people of promise.
- After them, new generation, which would emerge with new vision and new hope.
- Even though things may be unsure at this moment, we must learn to trust in God’s tomorrow.
- Never forget that God is with us. He continually provides and protects us.
- Will you? Do you? Will you begin a relationship with Him today?
- Enduring the Uncertainty of Life
- Water Walkers Expect Fear as the Price of Growth
- Who Is Your Rock?
- Be of Good Cheer
- Courage: Mastering Our Fears
- You Can Let Go Of Your Past
- Beyond Comprehension
- Turn the Other Cheek
- Growing in Patience
- The Real Art of Communication