Scripture Reading: 1 John 2.1-6
Can you know for certain that you are saved? Do you ever doubt your salvation? Questions about salvation can be answered. We do not need to live in doubt. 1 John 5.13 Here, in 1 John, we have three major tests to deal with doubt. If you understand and pass these three tests, you will defeat the devil and his assault.
I. The Commandment Test
- 1 John 2.3-5
- We can know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments.
- Commands – the gospel – commands of Jesus. John 14.15, 21
- Usually, Satan will attack us from two different angles with regard to keeping the commandments.
- He argues that you do not have to keep God’s commandments to be saved.
- He says that you must keep every command perfectly in order to be accepted by God.
- John’s point in 2.3-5a is to give assurance to the one who keeps God’s commandments. His intent is not to create doubt – but certainty!
II. The Companion Test
- See 1 John 3.14, 23, 4.20
- If we don’t have love for brothers and sisters in Christ, then we don’t have the nature of God.
- 5.1b – an identifying mark of a disciple is love for brethren.
- We want to worship God with them, praise God with them, encourage them, and get encouragement from them. See Hebrews 10.24-25
- Because I am saved, and because these people are my true family, I want to spend time with them outside the assembly – Acts 2.46
III. The commitment test
- 1 John 3.23 – Involves devotion, confidence, and the pledging of our life to Jesus.
- 3.23 – The commitment and trust we are talking about is in present tense.
- We do believe and nothing the devil throws at us can cause us to do otherwise. 1 john 4.4
- You can be saved & know it! You can be free from nagging doubts.
- Where do you stand today? Do you stand with Jesus & the people of God? If not, come to know Christ today!
- Objective & Subjective Evidence on the Assurance of our Salvation
- How do you Relate to the Father?
- Made New
- Jesus Paid it All
- Confidence and Affection in Christ
- Reader Reviews: From Fear to Faith
- Freed by the Spirit
- Jesus: Our Powerful Protector
- Standing on the Promises of God
- The Obedience of Faith